Friday, January 17, 2014

The Paper Chase



FAQ

Where are you in the process of adoption?

The process of an international adoption is long and very detailed. The agency we are using is called Gladney and it is located in Fort Worth. The 1st step is to complete the Gladney application.  Now this isn’t your normal 2 page application. This application includes papers to be notarized, copies of birth certificates, passports, ss numbers, marriage license, drivers licenses, proof of insurance, employment verification letters,  family pictures, finger prints, referral letters from friends, family, neighbors,  and the girls teachers,  domestic violence statements, pet vaccinations, and Doctors reports and the list goes on!!! The Doctors reports were fun to get. I’ve been tested for every drug and disease known to man and don’t even get me started of the stupid BMI test! 

The  home study.

 Right now we are waiting to hear back from our case worker to schedule the meeting. This meeting is causing me crazy stress! In my mind my home study interview will look like Piers Morgan interviewing Phil Robertson. I’m a nervous wreck! I know Josiah will breeze though his interview. He is smart and funny and well spoken.  I on the other hand will have to get though on my wits and right now my wits aren’t looking to sharp. Now here is where the real stress comes in.. the case worker is going to interview each of my kids alone! I will not be able to kick them under the table or even give them the hard stare smile that means I fear for their lives. They will be alone in a room answering questions about our family! My oldest daughter  will I’m sure “wow” the case worker. She is just like her dad. She loves kids and is super excited about the adoption everyone wants her to babysit. I bet she has already knit our China doll a blankie . My 10 year old (my mini me) gives me some reason for concern because she isn’t too excited about having to share a room and having  ANOTHER sister(she wanted a brother).  She is very smart and funny so I hope the case worker enjoys sarcasm.  Now my 4 year old makes me the most nervous.  Nothing get’s past her and she remembers EVERYTHING. Like the time when she wanted me to buy her this Mickey Mouse Christmas ornament. I said no… she was mad! That night at bedtime after reading her 100 books we prayed and I smiled and kissed her and she lovingly looks in my eyes and says “ You try to be sweet but you are just a mean mama!” She is a mess! She will say anything. Just yesterday she told me she can’t go back to mother’s day out because the dad who drives carpool has disgusting breath when he is unbuckling her car seat.  I can see it now Case worker-  “Do you love your Mom?”  J- “my mom try’s to be sweet but she is just a mean Mama” Folks I’m nervous, but as soon as our Home study is approved we can be matched with our daughter!



After the home study has been approved we will submit our immigration form (CIS). It can take up to 3 months for the CIS form to be processed so while we are waiting on that we are working with a Dossier service to help us with the foreign documents. Another fun 5 inch stack of paperwork! Once that is completed and sent to China and approved then we will get our travel visas approved, which can take a few weeks or months. After we get our travel approved we are off to china for 2 weeks to bring our daughter home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment